Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can you wash some genes too?


So I was hoping for something to distract me during the 2ww and boy was it delivered. One of my family members stepped up beautifully. Said family member has always been a bit erratic. So over the weekend I get a call that he's acting quite loony. He was talking about his apartment being electrified and it was magnetizing his brain. He became further and further erratic and eventually they managed to get him to an emergency mental health center.

Now I'm headed home and he's been diagnosed with a big case of Bipolar Disorder. He's still a bit funny in the head, talking about the fluoride in the water making his condition get worse. At least drugs can be used to treat the condition. However, this is a genetic disorder that runs in the family.

So it makes me wonder, with my particular infertility issues, with my families history of mental illness, and just general weird chromosomes, would donor semen be better? I know there is no guarantee, but would it be better to get at least half their chromosomes from someone taller, in better shape, with less craziness in their bloodline?

The weird things that infertility makes you think about.

3 comments:

  1. That's definitely a distraction from the 2WW. I'm sorry to hear about your family member's bipolar disorder, that's a tough one. My youngest sister has been struggling with it for several years now (She's 16) and it's a difficult adjustment, but it get's easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know eventually it'll be ok, just not really looking forward to this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear about your family member. Mental illness is definitely one of those things that IF makes you think about. I will keep them in my thoughts/prayers.

    On another note...its SO refreshing to find a blog like this from the male point of view! So many blogs and forums ect. out there are from us women...and I think its amazing that you are putting this out there. I am hoping this is a start of a new trend!

    ReplyDelete